Sunday, May 10, 2015

Rutland KRK-18 Fiberglass Chimney Brush Rod Kit Review

Rutland KRK-18 Fiberglass Chimney Brush Rod Kit

 
Chimney sweeping rods used with 1/4" NPT chimney brushes for regular maintenance cleaning of your chimney. Designed for homeowners.

I am new to the world of fire place inserts and while on the first time learning curve, found myself with a stopped up chimney top and heavy creosol build up in the liner. Local sweeps charged about $200.00 for the service. I got on YouTube and looked at a video and it really was very simple to clean a fireplace insert (providing I didn't fall off my roof in the process). I bought this product and the Rutland six-inch brush for the insert (make sure you know the size of your insert!!!). Once I cleaned out the chimney top, I used this to sweep the liner. I got half a garbage bag of creosol out of it. Afterwards, the liner and insert were back in business, which is good because we use it as the main source of heat in our home. Anyway, these rods were easy to use and durable for the task at hand. I recommend going with the Rutland brush to ensure the rods will fit and make sure you double check so you get the right sized products. Also...we are now using a powder to retard the creosol build up, and that seems to be making a difference. So, for the cost of these rods and the brush (very durable) I will save at least $200.00 a year. Not bad for DIY.

No comments:

Post a Comment